Monday, August 4, 2008

Morgan Freeman In A Car Crash?

I have a feature on my email account that forwards breaking news from cnn.com . I may go for several days and not get an email from them. Then I may have several days go by with multiple emails like when Hillary was refusing to concede to Obama.

Today I clicked on a breaking news item to learn that Morgan Freeman was in serious condition after an auto crash.

Notice: I call it a crash, more on that in a second.

I was shocked to learn that one of the actors I always enjoy running into in a movie has been injured. Looking at further stories that immediately showed up on AOL.com the only information available is that he was near one of his homes and the vehicle rolled several times.

Also there was a female with him in the vehicle.

He was airlifted from the scene.

This last bit of information gives me pause. From my years of experience with the fire service at Elk Grove Fire Depart now called Cosumnes River Fire District, I am aware of the protocols concerning trauma. Though it has been 20 years since I was a Fire Captain/Paramedic I do recall there is a thing known has the Golden Hour. What that means is that most victims of trauma have an hour where if stabilized by a trauma center, not just the nearest hospital, they have a much better chance of survival.

After that hour is over their survival rate without intervention at a trauma center, drops significantly. So learning that Mr. Freeman was flown by helicopter to a hospital tells me he may be fighting severe injuries in that Golden Hour.

Now, was he in an auto accident like all the news stories claim or was it an auto crash?

Saying anyone is in an auto accident in my opinion downplays the incident. The word accident hints that there was no intention. It was just a little accident. Like when your kid is getting potty trained and has an 'accident'.

When patients come to my office after being involved in an Auto Crash, whether or not the crash was accidental or someone deliberately hit them, I always document the incident with the word Crash. I try never to fall into the habit of calling it an accident.

I know this seems like such a small thing. But guess what? The fact that you may have been injured in a crash is downplayed by most of the following:

1. The other person who hit you.

2. The officer who shows up. There may or may not be a report written.

3. The emergency agency who comes to the scene to evaluate you.

4. The emergency room doctor who may say your neck or back pain is minor then send you home with pain drugs.

5. Your medical doctor you seek follow-up treatment from after the pain drugs the ER
gave you didn't work.

6. The insurance adjuster who calls you and records the conversation trying to get you to confirm you have no injuries.

7. The lawyer from the other party who calls to confirm you are not injured.

8. Your boss at work when you miss days due to injury and he/she insists you bring in a doctor's note.

9. Your insurance company who raises your rates six months later even though it's not your fault and they insisted you were not injured in that 'Accident".

See why I never call an auto crash an accident?

Sorry about your auto crash Mr Freeman. Hope for the best for you and your family.

Dr Doug

No comments: